Boating Education

BENevada Boaters born on or after January 1, 1983 are required to complete a Nevada Department of Wildlife approved boater education course before operating a boat on Nevada's interstate waters, but NDOW recommends everyone get their boating education card before heading out on the water.

Learn from Home

You can earn your Nevada Boater Safety Certificate from the comfort of your couch. Pick up a boating education book from any NDOW office and study from home at your own pace. When you are ready, you can take the test at the back of the book and mail it to the Nevada Department of Wildlife. Once you pass, a boater education card will be mailed to you. If you can't make it to an NDOW office, you can also request that one be mailed to you at no charge from the Nevada Department of Wildlife by calling (775) 688-1549.

You can also download the PDF version of the boating education book here.

Online Course

You can also take your boating safety course online. Many people prefer the online course as it has interactive elements and a practice test. You can choose to take the final exam whenever you feel ready. There are several options for online courses with varying levels of interactive elements and costs. Take a look at each one and decide which is best for you.

The Mystery of Kalkomey Island (Interactive Online Course)

Complete your boating safety education by joining four friends as they embark on a boating adventure encountering storms, thieves, and a mysterious island.This interactive course is approved by both the U.S. Coast Guard and the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA). Watch the trailer.

Western Nevada Boating Education

Southern Nevada Boating Education

Eastern Nevada and Rural Areas Boating Education

  • There are no regularly offered courses through the Coast Guard Auxiliary or the U.S. Power Squadron in Nevada’s rural counties. However, courses can be scheduled at individuals request through the Department of Wildlife as needed. Contact Lynda Barr at (775) 688-1549