Boating Education classes are offered throughout Nevada, via correspondence, or online.
Take a boating safety course by studying at home and receive your official State of Nevada boater safety certificate! You can request that a boating education correspondence course be mailed to you at no charge from the Nevada Department of Wildlife by calling (775) 688-1548. You can also pick up boating education books at your regional NDOW office.
The NDOW correspondence course is also available online for a fee. After completing the online study course and the practice exam, you can proceed to take the exam for certification. You can study for and take the course at the following two websites:
Western Nevada Boating Education
- U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary
Sierra Division 11N
North Lake Tahoe Flotilla 11-01
(530) 583-9304 Jerry Pearlman
- Reno Flotilla 11-03
Note: Holds classes normally on the first Saturday of each even month, which are open to the public. There is a fee for the 8-hour course. Classes are held at the training room at IGT. Call the above number for further information or to sign up.
- South Lake Tahoe Flotilla 11-04
- Carson City Flotilla 11-05
Note: Holds classes with Flotilla 11-03
Southern Nevada Boating Education
- The Las Vegas Sail and Power Squadron
Clint Moore, Public Relations Officer
The Las Vegas Sail and Power Squadron offers several boating
courses throughout the year that are open to the general public
and meet Nevada's education requirement.
- Las Vegas Coast Guard Auxiliary
The Las Vegas Coast Guard Auxiliary also offers courses regularly. Find out where and when courses are scheduled by calling the number above or visiting their web site.
Eastern Nevada and Rural Areas Boating Education
- There are no regularly offered courses through the Coast Guard Auxiliary or the U.S. Power Squadron in Nevada’s rural counties. However, courses can be scheduled at individuals request through the Department of Wildlife as needed. Contact Edwin Lyngar at (775) 688-1548