Hunter Education Requirements

Anyone born after January 1, 1960 is required to provide proof of Hunter Education, in order to purchase a Nevada hunting license. Proof of Hunter Education is an official Hunter Education card or certificate from any state or Canadian province, with the Hunter Education number and state or provincial logo or seal or a previous year's hunting license with the Hunter Education number or mark.

If you have taken a hunter education class in another state or Canadian province, verification must be provided.

There are two ways to receive a new Nevada Hunter Education certificate.  Students 11 years of age and older can get certified online.  Students under the age of 11 must attend a Nevada Hunter Education course. The course consists of independent home study and an in-person certification class.

The independent study component requires the completion of a workbook or online course prior to attending the certification class. Students have three options for meeting the home study requirement; complete the Today's Hunter workbook or complete the required work online. The workbook and Today's Hunter-Nevada student manual (reference for completing the workbook) may be obtained free from any NDOW office. Students have two choices of internet course; and, with both courses charging an additional fee over the basic $5 class fee. Students must bring their completed workbook or Nevada Online Course Completion Confirmation (printed off the website upon successful completion) to the class to gain admittance.

Hunter Education classes are offered year-round throughout Nevada. Click the link to your Region to find a class near you. Early sign-up is encouraged. Remember, the workbook or online course must be 100% complete before attending the class.

Work books will be mailed only to those students outside the areas serviced by regional offices located in Las Vegas, Henderson, Reno, Fallon, Elko, Winnemucca, and Ely.

A class fee of $5 will be collected at the beginning of the course.

There is no minimum age required to take the class. However, students under the age of 11 are required to attend with an adult. The parent(s) or guardian(s) of minor students are required to check-in the minor student(s) with NDOW instructor(s) at the beginning of class and pick-up their student(s) from the instructor(s) at class end. Under no circumstances are minor students to be dropped off or picked up without notifying the instructor(s). Parents or guardians are also solely responsible for student transportation and should notify the instructor(s) at the beginning of class if someone other than a parent or guardian is picking up the student after class.

Participants taking a class on the weekend are reminded to bring a lunch.

Classes will often spend two hours or more outdoors, please dress accordingly.

NOTE: Individuals with a disability who are in need of special services should contact the Department at least 24 hours prior to the meeting. The contact information for each region can be found at the bottom of this page.

Register Your Hunter Safety Card

If you are a first time applicant for tags in Nevada and are born after January 1, 1960, you need to register your hunter safety card by adding it to your sportsman account to satisfy the hunter safety requirement.

  1. Go to:
  2. Click the orange Support button at the bottom right of the page
  3. Enter your first name, email address and last name
  4. Select Hunter Safety Education Certificates as the reason for your request and enter your date of birth
  5. Attach a picture of your hunter safety certificate
  6. Click send to submit your request

Education Resources  Edible Portions Guide

Still Have Questions?

Contact NDOW's Hunter Education Coordinator in your region.

Western Region: 
Dawn Andersen
ph - (775) 688-1622
fax - (775) 688-2939
Eastern Region:
Joe Doucette
ph - (775) 777-2305
fax - (775) 738-2485 
Southern Region:
Martin Olson
ph: (702) 486-5127 ext. 3501
fax: (702) 486-5133