Hunter Education

Hunter education courses are required to hunt in Nevada, but they are also a fun hands-on way to learn about hunting!


Anyone born after January 1, 1960, is required to provide proof of hunter education in order to purchase a Nevada hunting license. Proof of hunter education is an official hunter education card or certificate from any state or Canadian province with the hunter education number and state or provincial logo or seal, or a previous year’s hunting license with the hunter education number or mark. 
If you are a first time applicant for tags in Nevada and are born after January 1, 1960, you need to register your hunter safety certification to satisfy the hunter safety requirement.

To Register Your Hunter Safety Certification
  • Go to:
  • Click the green help button at the bottom right of the page
  • Enter your first name, email address and last name
  • Select Hunter Safety Education Certificates as the reason for your request and enter your date of birth
  • Attach a picture of your hunter safety certificate
  • Click send to submit your request

Students 18 years of age and older can get certified online.

Students under the age of 18 must attend a Nevada hunter education course. The course consists of independent home study and an in-person certification class.

Students have three options for meeting the home study requirement: complete the Today’s Hunter workbook or complete the required work online. The Today’s Hunter-Nevada workbook and student manual (reference for completing the workbook) may be obtained free from any NDOW office. Students have two choices of internet courses: and Both online courses charge an additional fee over the basic $5 class fee. Students must bring their 100% completed workbook or Nevada Online Course Completion Confirmation (printed off the website upon successful completion) to the class to gain admittance.

Early sign-up is encouraged. Remember, the workbook or online course must be 100% complete before attending the class. There is no minimum age required to take the class, however, students under the age of 18 are required to attend with an adult. The parent(s) or guardian(s) of minor students are required to check-in the minor student(s) with NDOW instructor(s) at the beginning of class and pick-up their student(s) from the instructor(s) at class end. Under no circumstances are minor students to be dropped off or picked up without notifying the instructor(s). Parents or guardians are also solely responsible for student transportation and should notify the instructor(s) at the beginning of class if someone other than a parent or guardian is picking up the student after class. Participants taking a class on the weekend are reminded to bring a lunch. Classes will often spend two hours or more outdoors so please dress accordingly.

NOTE: Individuals with a disability who are in need of special services should contact the department at least 24 hours prior to the course. The contact information for each region can be found at the bottom of this page.

Advanced Hunter Education

Whether you are looking for an introduction to archery education class or an advanced hunter education topic of interest, you have come to the right place. From beginners just dipping their toes in the water to experts preparing for your next hunting adventure, we offer a variety of different classes throughout the year to help you.


If you have a question about hunter education requirements, licensing or youth hunting please checkout our FAQ section below.

Do I need a hunter education certificate to purchase a hunting license?

Anyone born after Jan. 1, 1960 must show proof of hunter education to purchase a hunting license. Proof of hunter education includes a hunter education certificate or past hunting license with a hunter education number or identifying mark from either the U.S. or Canada.

What is a hunter education certificate?

A hunter education certificate proves you have successfully completed a hunter education course. The Nevada Department of Wildlife has records from 1974 to date of all hunter education participants who have taken classes in Nevada.

What if I received my hunter education in another state?

You will need to get proof of your hunter education certification from that state before you can purchase a hunting license in Nevada.

What is a hunter education duplicate certificate?

A duplicate certificate is a replacement certificate to replace your original hunter education certificate that was lost or destroyed.

Where can I get a duplicate certificate?

Online: You can order your Nevada duplicate certificate online at

How much does a duplicate certificate cost?

Duplicate certificates cost a nominal fee to cover the cost of printing the card. Durable plastic wallet size cards can be purchased at

What information do I need to find my record and print a duplicate certificate?

You will need to enter “Nevada”, your name and date of birth.

What happens if I cannot find my record?

Please contact your Regional Hunter Education Coordinator by clicking on the “Contact Us” link at the bottom of the search page.

Am I required to have a hunter education certificate to apply for a big game tag?

Yes, the department requires proof of hunter education to purchase a hunting license and it must be on your online account to submit tag applications. Proof of hunter education may be a previous license with a hunter education number or identifying mark.

At what age is a hunting license required?

Any person 12 years or older who hunts game birds or game mammals in Nevada is required to have a hunting license or a combination license. In order to purchase a hunting license, you must first complete a hunter education course and receive a hunter education certificate, which certifies completion of the course.

Can youth hunt unaccompanied in Nevada?

Youths aged 14 and older, who have a valid license, and have received parental permission, may hunt unaccompanied with a rifle or shotgun that is not a semi-automatic firearm.

If a youth is unaccompanied, what are the restrictions on possessing firearms while in a motor vehicle?

Youth under age 18 may not be in possession or control of a semi-automatic firearm (shotguns and rifles included) that has a loaded magazine in the firearm (with or without a round in the chamber) while in a motor vehicle. Juveniles also may not possess or have under their control a revolver with rounds in the cylinder when in a motor vehicle.

Who is eligible to hunt in the youth waterfowl hunt?

Open to hunters 17 years of age or younger. Youth hunters 16 years of age and older must possess a Federal duck stamp. Youth must be accompanied by an adult who is at least 18 years old. Adults are not allowed to hunt during this season.

How old do you have to be to hunt big game in Nevada?

Anyone age 12 and older who possesses a hunting license is eligible to apply for a big game tag and to hunt big game in Nevada. Youths, ages 12-17, are eligible to apply for the resident junior mule deer hunt. In addition, anyone age 11 may apply for the big game tag if they will turn 12 prior to the opening date of the season.

How old do you have to be to hunt for upland game and waterfowl in Nevada?

There is no minimum age, however, at the age of 12, youth are required by law to possess a hunting license. You must complete a hunter education course and receive a Nevada hunter education card. This hunter education card is required to purchase a hunting license.

How old do you have to be to apply for any tag species hunts in Nevada?

Minimum age of 12 to hunt tagged species.

How old do you have to be to apply for the resident junior deer hunt?

Youth must be at least 12 years old prior to the beginning of the season for which they are applying, and younger than 17 on the last day of the season for which they are applying.


Use these helpful resources to start planning your next hunt today.




Aaron Keller
Eastern Region

Eastern Region

Julie Gabrielson
Western Region

Western Region

Open Position
Southern Region

Southern Region

Martin Olson