Catnip Reservoir is located in northern Washoe County on the Sheldon National Wildlife Refuge administered by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. It was constructed in 1910 and was used to irrigate the IXL Ranch. It also provided nesting for waterfowl. Lahontan cutthroat trout were first stocked in 1947 with the intent of creating a brood stock to be artificially spawned, with the first event occurring in 1959. Over the years, the need to use Catnip Reservoir as a broodstock diminished and, in 1998, it was opened to fishing. Since then, the reservoir has been managed as a recreational fishery.
View Map- Click Here